Overseas Laboratory Manager
Overseas Laboratory Manager
£40,000 to £50,000 plus benefits and possible relocation
The business is one of the world’s leading independent commodity surveyors, providing inspection, analysis and technical consultancy; with operations strategically placed within the world’s major mineral and metal sourcing and consuming locations. Its overseas laboratory operations are wholly owned subsidiaries of the group, with its headquarters based in the North West of England. The group is a family run business, with its success being dependent upon allowing individuals autonomy; whilst, at the same time, encouraging teamwork and cooperation throughout the structure. Through expansion of its global analytical services business the company has an opportunity for a career orientated classical in-organic chemist with a proven track record in both laboratory management and technical competency.
Based in the UK you will be reporting to the Group Laboratory Director and responsible for supporting the technical development and maintenance of the Groups overseas laboratory operations and its staff located within Europe, south east Europe, Africa, Asia & the America’s based currently over 14 geographical locations. This will be achieved by periodic on-site visits as part of the Group Auditing Programme (GAP), encouraging daily contact as required, receiving feedback from operational staff and reviewing the on-going group round-robin data.
In this key leadership role, you will need to demonstrate a strong technical background and experience of classical in-organic analytical chemistry and modern instrumental techniques. Your work experience must include a high level of technical experience, demonstrating career progression through the laboratory structure to positions of senior management; preferably, within a busy commercial laboratory environment. You must be able to demonstrate high performance levels and a focused customer ethos.
This is a unique challenge for an outstanding leader with a strong chemistry and laboratory management track record. Strong leadership skills and strategic thinking are a pre-requisite, with a high level of interpersonal skills and an inclusive approach to management and leadership. You will be expected to inspire and motivate multiple workforces across different time zones to deliver excellence in quality and analytical service. You must demonstrate personal integrity with a commitment to maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality control. Written and oral Spanish language would be an advantage but not essential.
The ideal candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and experience: –
- University degree or equivalent qualification in chemistry / analytical chemistry
- At least 10 years analytical experience and 5 years in a senior laboratory/technical management position (Chief Chemist, Head of Laboratory or similar)
- Capable of performing internal technical audits of the Group’s laboratories in line with policy
- Experience of client driven 3rd party external auditing
- Experience of working in challenging geographical locations and laboratory start-up projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, open communications and team building
- Ability to establish credibility within a multi-ethnic workforce across diverse geographical locations and time zones
- Commitment to develop robust QC & QA systems working within a ISO/IEC: 17025:2005 accredited environment
- Commitment to staff development
- Team player, with good attention to detail and an ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to multi-task across the group
This is an excellent company to work for, offering long term career development opportunities.
If you wish to apply please fill in the form below with the subject matter PG1602-12